Thursday, September 30, 2010

A photographer is more than their price tag

This post is a rant. If you're not in the mood for reading someone else's crap (i.e. mine) please be warned!
I've just been looking at a wedding photographer's website and their work. On their site I can see evidence of four wedding shoots. Count that: one, two, three, four. They're advertising a 7 hour shoot for R10 000. Fair enough they're adding in a few extras . . . but really!! R10 000 for someone with four shoots under their belt. I also see evidence of portrait shoots, but what worries me is that the portrait shoots are not of the same calibre as the wedding shoots. So I wonder - are the weddings shot by the same photographer? Or were the weddings shot as assistant to a really good photographer - someone who likely set up the shots, chose the location, the lighting, the mood? I have to admit, I'm so angry I could spit. What ever happened to working your way up from the bottom? How does someone with four weddings justify a starting rate of R10 000? It pisses me off because I see a lot of people assuming that this is an easy industry and an easy way to make money! And if people walk in with four weddings and want to charge R10 000 then how is the average client meant to judge what's fair and what's not?  All too often people assume that if the price is high the quality has to be good . . . that is so not the case!
And as a post script of sorts: the photographer whose site I was on: the shots all look like they come off a 50mm lens. One lens. R10 000 for a wedding shoot. F*ck'n hell!
A second post script: each of those four weddings featured had about 10 to 15 shots. I kid you not.

No comments: